Saturday, March 10, 2007

Good books every director should read


Next to my Bible there are a few books that it seems I refer to on almost a daily basis. I should probably tell you that, lacking a college education I have made it my mission in life to collect and read every theatre text known to man. I have over two hundred at last count. Many of them are utterly worthless, many others are just rehashing what so many have said better, then there are the gems, that say something new in a unique way and when you try it, it works. here are my favorites.


1. Technical Theatre for Nontechnical People: This is a great book no matter what your level of expertise. If you are a tech moron it will make you feel smart and give you tons of great practical advice. If you are a tech know-it-all you can use it as a translation guide for the times you must come down from the mountain and enlighten the masses. Covering everything from lighting to set construction this one is a must have!


2. Acting Power by Robert Cohen: This is the best book on acting I have ever read. Cohen's practical approach to intercharacter relationships will not only help you understand acting it will change how you view communication. CAUTION! While Cohen has written some of the best books out there on theatre some of his subject matter may not be appropriate for young students to read unsupervised. While far from obscene he does make mention of sensitive issues.


3. Instant Acting: This is a fun one. I found it in a little bookstore one time and the title alone convinced me to take it home. Written by acting teacher Jeremy Whelan it outlines a rehearsal process he calls the Whelan tape technique. It require actors to record their lines and immediately act out the scene to the soundtrack of their recording. It works! Having used it on about a half dozen major shows over the years I can tell you it does work, check it out for yourself.


4.Actor's Field Guide: by Ed Hooks. In brief digest form Mr. Hooks lays out the wisdom of his decades of acting coaching in Hollywood. Most of the entries are no more than three paragraphs but it is peppered with fun stories and examples. CAUTION! Another PG rating here but works great to read snippets aloud in an acting class.


5. Stage Makeup: in any edition, I think I have five or six. Try ebay or save up your nickels and dimes because this one is a classic. Each edition gets better! Covering everything there is to know about stage makeup between the covers of one book is impossible but these guys come darn close. Lots of great pictures and down to earth, easy to follow instructions.


Well there's my top five, enjoy!

No comments: