Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Give them something to shoot for.


Here is a little exercise that I use to help my actors understand how important it is for us to have a common goal. I divide the class into two groups. I seperate the two groups into seperate rooms. I then give each group a paperclip, a pencil and a sheet of paper.To the first group I give the following instructions, "Using this paperclip as an example I want you to write down as many uses for a paperclip as you can think of." I answer no questions, give no examples, I leave the room and go to my other group where I say this, "Okay, I want (pick someone reasonably responsible) this person to be our secretary. Now here's what we're going to do. I want you to come up with one hudred uses for a paperclip, I am giving you five minutes to complete the list. They don't all have to be good ideas, any idea will do." Then
I usually give them one or two examples which I tell them they are free to use.

From that poin on I check on both groups about once a minute. I do not talk to my first group, I continue to encourage the second and keep them posted on how much time, etc. is left.

When the five minutes are up I bring both groups together. Invariably, even with students who know the game, the second group outproduces the first three or four to one. If the first group got 30 ideas, the second will have 90. It never fails.

So break it down to directing. i come into a rehearsal with no goals in mind, maybe not even any blocking notes, I laze around getting started, don't encourage my actors or present them with a specific list of what we are going over, I get crap!

Versus, I come in with notes, tell them what I want to do tonight, get straight to work, amazing results!

One hundred percent of the goals that do not get set will never be reached, try it!

No comments: